Friday, January 30, 2009

Past sewing projects

I've been sewing since I was a little girl, first making outfits for my Barbies, eventually getting into the 'hippie' clothing scene in highschool, making patchwork pants and funky cotton dresses and apron shirts. I learned to sew on an antique Singer sewing machine that used to belong to my grandma. It was beautiful, classic avocado green, and it dropped into a wooden sewing desk. It only went straight backwards and forwards (no embroidery stitches), but it did the trick! Then in my senior year of highschool, I upgraded to a new Singer with embroidery stiches (and my favorite feature, an automatic buttonhole maker!).

At my highschool, every senior did a Senior Project in the spring for a month, and for my project, I designed and sewed (sewwed?) clothes. I made my graduation outfit, a satin tank with a matching satin and tulle skirt, a pair of funky patchwork pants that zipped into shorts,
and my favorite peice, a skirt made entirely out of neck ties! I believe there are 44 ties in all, most of which I found at thrift stores, though quite a few were donated by my dad!





My hippie sewing style long gone, I then moved on to more traditional designs. I've made a few dresses and skirts, even tried my hand at lingerie (it's so much harder to get it to fit right. I'll leave that to Victoria's Secret).


A few falls ago I started my first quilt, a pretty easy pattern for 20 fat quarters, I think it was called "turning 20", it's a twin size quilt. It took me a couple years to finish, partially because quilting takes up a lot of space for a lot of time. Here's the finished quilt. It gets plenty of use on cozy nights in the livingroom!


Most recently, I made my Halloween costume, I was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I made this entirely from a pattern (one of the few times I've ever used a pattern for clothing, usually I use part of a pattern or none at all), and it's exactly as Dorothy's dress was in the movie (it's a lisenced pattern). And I glittered the shoes myself. (Wyatt was a flying monkey, I didn't make his costume but I did make his wings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment