Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Soapmaking attempt #2

Well, crayon attempt #1 was not as successful as I'd have hoped. Though it was good soap, it didn't draw very visibly on the tub. The wonderful thing about soap though, is you can remelt it and try again! For attempt #2 I added more of the soap dye I had, but it just wasn't concentrated enough, so I tried some Wilton icing coloring (food coloring but highly concentrated) and boom it did the trick!!! These crayons are RED! We'll give a crayon the official bathtub test this evening, but I was already able to draw on the sink with what little soap had congealed on the spoon I was using, and it should do quite nicely! Another bonus with using the food coloring is I have 8 colors of coloring, so I can make a wider variety of crayons without having to mix colors together. Hooray!

3 comments:

  1. Just want to let you know that those Wilton icing colors stain my hands when I use them on cakes so you might just make sure that they won't stain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! Yeah, straight those colors stain like mad, but fortunately in the soap they don't! Not sure if it's cause it's so diluted, or if it's a chemical thing that the soap won't allow the dye/pigment to bond with your skin or the tub, or a combination of the two- in any case, my hands haven't been stained by any of the finished soap colors (I just finished the fifth color of crayons), and I've tested them on both our white porcelain sink, and our off white plastic bathtub, and neither have stained (and I'm leaving it on the tub for a long time, to be extra sure).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete