Friday, July 8, 2011

Most recent sewing projects

Before my project list is taken up with pants after pants after pants for Red, I decided to do some me projects.  Two are re-fashions (turning old clothes into new), and one is made entirely of fabric I got for free (go freecycle!).

The first project was turning a rather formal gown into a fun top and skirt!  I started out with the dress I wore for my college graduation- a gorgeous embroidered sparkley thing, far too formal for anything I would ever go to, ever... But that was just too fun to let go to waste in my closet.  Biting the bullet and cutting it in half took some courage, but I'm SO glad I did!  The top turned out great- I did a rolled hem along the bottom (love my serger!), replaced the super-thin spaghetti straps with wider ones, and made a new zipper pull (the old one was broken off).  The fabric is a very slinky acetate, which has a gorgeous drape, but is dry-clean only, so this will be a special occasion shirt.  I don't do dry cleaning ;)  The skirt, on the other hand, didn't turn out as great.  It was tricky, since the new waist where I cut it was far too wide (the dress originally was flowy, not fitted), so it took some finagling to get it narrow enough to not look weird but still big enough to do an elastic waistband (hadn't thought about needing a zipper until it was too late).  Also, I shortened it by several inches (I needed the fabric for the new shoulder straps), so that made figuring the waist a little funkier.  Meh, I was more excited to have the top than the skirt anyways ;)

The second project was turning an old skirt into a new halter top!  I had a cute organic cotton skirt from Patagonia, but it wasn't something I wore frequently at all (in fact, it was in the giveaway pile until I realized I could use the fabric for something else).  It's a thick, stretchy jersey, and perfect for a pattern I had in my stash for a halter top, so yesterday I just went for it and made it!  I hadn't sewed from a pattern in a few years (since my Dorothy costume, in fact) and I had forgotten how much I like sewing from a pattern!  It takes all the worry and guesswork out, which may seem like it takes the creativity out, but whatever, it was easy and quick and turned out perfectly, which I can't say would have happened had I made it up as I went!

And the third project was a nice lightweight nightgown, made of fabric and some lace trim that I got on freecycle last year.  I did use a pattern I had to cut the pieces, but constructed it my own way, and I like it!  Nice and light for summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment