Monday, November 9, 2009

craptastic cabinets galore!

Well, it seems there is a slight change of plans with my shed. We started taking apart the desk cabinets, and upon removing the countertop, discovered that the cabinets are the CRAPTASTICEST CABINETS EVER MADE. Seriously, they were cutting some SERIOUS corners when they made these "cabinets"... and I use that term VERY lightly. So essentially, they are crap and not going to work in my shed, and to make them work would be more pain than they are worth. So instead, we're still going to rip them out of the house and build closets in their place, but in my shed for now we will put my sewing cabinet and our folding table out there, and we've already got two tall cabinets out there now (they're narrow but nice, one is all drawers and the other is drawers with a cabinet on the top half) so I'll be able to move into that storage, and the rest will live in storage boxes we already have. Come spring, I'll build a workbench in there, and by then I'll have a sense of where everything works best in there, and what additional storage and surface space I'll need. Frankly I thought that was going to be the plan from the beginning, but Red had said he'd help me get the cabinets in there sooner rather than later, so we went with that plan. Until of course we discovered just how craptastic the cabinets actually are... Seriously, they're embarrassing... The good news is that the wall cabinets above the desk are actual real cabinets, so we'll still be able to put those out there, but we're going to wait on that. In the meantime, when we do rip out the cabinets, we'll have to retexture the wall behind them cause the drawer hardware ends are GLUED to the wall (WTF?) rather than the non-existant back of the cabinet... and there are no sides on them, and the shelves of the hallway cabinet are attached to the walls not the cabinet, so I'm sure in demo we'll do some more damage over there... Really? Geez... ;)

But all in all it's even better, cause I'll be moved in to my shed TODAY! It still lacks flooring though, but it's no big deal, we Kilz'ed the floor so it's not grody anymore, and we've got some leftover carpet from Wyatt's room that I can put out there for the winter to keep my tootsies warm! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment