Tuesday, November 24, 2009

New machine!!!

O.M.G. That is about what sums up how amazing my new sewing machine is!!! I am now the very proud new owner of a brand new Bernina Aurora 430, and will soon be the owner of the embroidery module to go with it (well technically I already am the owner since it has been paid for, but it had to be ordered and should be here within 2 weeks or thereabouts). The machine itself is absolutely incredible. So much so in fact that in it's own manual, it's not called a sewing machine but a sewing computer. I haven't even plugged it in yet because it is such an advanced machine, I've read the manual twice and still don't feel ready to give it a go yet. Quite fortunately, the awesome Bernina store I bought it from offers free mastery classes specific to the machine, and I know for sure I will need to take at least one class! Likely even two, one for the machine itself, the other for the embroidery part of things! I am so excited at the possibilities for amazing projects with this machine, and can't wait for the embroidery module to come in! Hello awesome Christmas gifts! I keep having moments of 'holy cow!', thinking of all the amazing things I can do with this machine! Hopefully the learning curve won't be too difficult, though just from reading the manual I am realizing how very little I actually know about machine sewing... I'm realizing all these years I've either been fudging it or underusing the capabilities of even my basic Singer, what with not knowing really what stiches or presser feet or needles are best for which types of fabric or thread or applications... And really I've never had anything to tell me otherwise! The stuff I've learned just reading the manual has been amazing! The manual for my Singer, though a relatively new machine, probably had most of the instructions and diagrams copied from manuals from the 50's... And definitely didn't explain much beyond how to physically use the machine... Anyways, I have definitely got my work cut out for me in figuring out my new "sewing computer", but I am very much up for the task!

As for my shed, I unfortunately haven't been able to work out there yet. It's still unheated, and it has been quite chilly these days. The challenge with heating it is this- Though all the outlets in the shed work, the main hookup for the shed is only powered right now by a single outdoor extension cord, capable of carrying 14-15 amps. Most electric space heaters pull at least 12 amps, so if I were to use an electric heater, I wouldn't be able to have anything else on (lights or machines) while the heater is on. While this could work temporarily, it's not ideal... I'd have to go out well enough ahead of time to get the shed warmed up, and if it got chilly while I was still working out there, I'd have to stop using anything electric to warm it back up. Doable, but clearly a hassle. My other option is propane, but it's a pricier option (my MIL has an electric space heater that I'd be able to have for free). Though a friend has a 100 gallon portable tank that we could have, I'd have to buy some sort of heater for it, and of course the propane itself. Not sure when that could happen. The third and final option is to get real power to the shed, and though it's doable, it's not going to be easy... I'd have to dig a ditch from the house to the shed, so that we could bury some direct bury line from the house to the shed. I'd have to go about 25 feet to get there, including across the driveway (gravel, but a PITA to dig through). I'd still have to be careful with my amperage usage, but it wouldn't be as bad as just the extension cord. So all in all, nothing is the 'easy' solution, but there are solutions out there... Just which one happens by first significant snowfall is up in the air... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment